Blantyre International University Bachelor of Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Information about the Blantyre International University BIU Bachelor of Logistics and Supply Chain Management for this Academic year. Applicants can find valuable insights regarding the subject on this page. Welcome to Studyinmalawi.com. The above is information will assist you to make an informed decision.
Brief History; Blantyre International University BIU) was established in 2008 to provide high quality university education for this century. This is predicated on its belief that education must be life-long – that education is not a spatial monopoly of something called the school and college; not a time-bound learning experience; there is no such thing as childhood education, adolescent education, youth education, or adult education.
Details About Blantyre International University BIU
Today’s businesses become more competitive due to rapid change and globalization. Competition in both local and international markets requires an excellent distribution network. By the rapid change in the development of information technologies, business processes are also changing. The change has also brought a tremendous change in customer expectations. We start to notice more and more impatient customers in the market, and customers start to inquire different channels to have goods and services delivered to them. In order to survive in such a challenging environment, Logistic and Supply Chain Management are becoming increasingly important subjects. This area deals with procurement of raw materials, their delivery to the production environment, storage of raw material as well as finished goods, and distribution channels, which are also important activities within a supply chain. These changes increase the importance of logistics both in Malawi and globally.
Logistics plays a key role in the implementation of processes responsible for the company’s operative performance. Because only an intelligent control system that manages the company’s interconnecting flow of products and information can give rise to innovations in profit-oriented processes and products. In the Bachelor of Science in Logistics and Supply Chain Management, you will work on integrated approaches for logistical solutions – and their successful implementation. Students will be introduced to the current and relevant subareas of logistics. The main focus includes Contract Logistics and Forwarding, International Transport as well as Intra-logistics.
During their study they will be able to look far beyond their own experience in logistics with the help of specific issues: at Blantyre International University, in Bachelor of Science in Logistics and Supply Chain Management, students will learn how to implement an advanced concept of Logistics and Supply Chain Management. They will analyze the management and optimization of financial processes which are necessary for success-oriented use in inventory/stocks, technical furnishing and equipment, vehicle fleet and real estate.
Aim of the Program
The purpose of the Logistic and Supply Chain Management program is both to promote the importance of the logistics in Malawi, and help national and international companies by providing well-prepared professionals in the field of logistics and supply chain management. The program has both interdisciplinary and international content. The courses are designed to the needs of the sector. We expect our graduates to have both theoretical background and market experience.
Upon successful completion of the program, the students will be able to:
- To provide an overview of the key activities performed by the logistics function including distribution, transportation, global logistics and inventory control
- To gain a working understanding of logistics principles and to expose students to the language of logistics
- Describe alternative ways to organize for supply chain management.
- Describe methods of inventory planning.
- To understand current challenges faced by supply chain professionals and to provide a basis for thinking through these challenges
- Explain how technology has and continues to change logistics and supply chain management.
- Compare modes of transportation and related policies.
- Describe warehouse processes, systems, and performance measures.
- Describe documentation and terms of sale for international shipments.
- Demonstrate business ethics, a strong work ethic and solution to critical business issues.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the legal and ethical environment impacting business organizations in the area of Logistic and Supply Chain Management.
- Demonstrate an ability to engage in critical thinking by analysing situations and constructing and selecting viable solutions to solve Logistic and Supply Chain Management problems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of current information, theories and models, and techniques and practices in Logistic and Supply Chain Management.
- To prepare students for career opportunities
The graduates of BIU Logistic and Supply Chain Management may find career opportunities in the following sectors:
- Logistics, Purchasing, Supply, and Foreign Trade Departments of production, service and sales companies
- Logistics Service Providers (3PL or 4PL)
- Freight Forwarders
- Logistics Departments of Insurance, Finance, Audit and Foreign Trade companies
- Logistics Departments of Universities and Research Institutes
- Related Departments of State Planning Organization, Ministry of Transportation, and other Government Organizations.
- Logistics Consultancy and Training Companies
- Logistics Applications Departments of Communications and Information Technology Companies.
- Customs Brokerage
- Maritime and Port Authorities
- Civil Society Organizations
- Logistics Centers
Applicants for admission into LSCM undergraduate programme will be subject to selective screening based on academic achievement at the secondary level. The table below shows the standards for evaluating secondary school’s credentials for undergraduate admission.
Examination Minimum Requirement
Malawi School Certificate of Education – [ MSCE ] or IGSCE/GSCE A full certificate with at least six credit passes including English and Mathematics plus one of the following subjects:
- Business Studies
- Principles of Accounting
A-Level – One ‘A’ level pass
IB – One upper level pass
Mature Entry – Diploma in relevant field of study plus Work or Business Experience of three years or more
A student may, in approved cases, be exempted from certain levels or courses or both provided that the student shall have successfully completed an approved or equivalent university level courses elsewhere and that the student shall be required to complete at least half (50%) of the programme through Blantyre International University. Specifically, the following persons may apply for a 50% exemption:
• A person who has obtained a degree from this or another university.
• A person who has obtained a three-year Diploma from a recognised institution of higher learning.
• • Where a person does not qualify to apply for a 50% exemption, the academic transcripts will be examined and placement determined by the Academic Committee.
Degree Course Duration
The duration of this degree programme is four years.
At studyinmalawi.com we provide you with Links to the most important information about the Schools. eg. Fees Structure, Accommodations, Vacancies, Admissions, Official Address, Contact Details and History.